Bookmarks. One of those things you can´t live with or without.
Normally, a bookmark is made out of a simple strip of card, used to mark a page in a book so a reader knows where he/she left off. But bookmarks come in all materials, shapes and sizes, these days.
All you have to do is spend some quality time on Instagram and you can find tons, if not more, Insta-feeds from super creative people who make gorgeous, personalized bookmarks or you can do what I usually do * hides face in shame *: Use whatever is close by as a bookmark.
Seriously- I feel slightly ashamed of my bookmark substitutes. I´m 35. I should have figured out by now that toilet paper isn´t the right choice to mark a page but I still do it. I spend so much time on Etsy that I could easily order a few of those fab page markers.
It wasn´t until I decided to dust off my bookshelves when I noticed I had all sorts of weird objects sticking between book pages. I mean- I knew I used toilet paper. But the rest? * snorts * Totally slipped my mind that I used anything flat and within my reach. As I emptied my books I collected some awkward treasures ( including chocolate someone hid behind my books. But that´s a story for a different time).
- A bookmark. I have hundreds of bookmarks. If I could only remember where they all are.
2. Piece Of Ribbon. As a mom of 2 girls I have all sorts of glittery girly stuff flying around the house, even ribbons. You can never know when you need to work one into a braid or give a newly wrapped gift the last touch. A piece of ribbon can also be used as a bookmark!
3. Photos. The large rectangular object on the top of the pic is a photo ( turned facedown due to privacy reasons). I can´t, by all that´s fluffy and pink, remember when I used that as a bookmark.
4. Toilet Paper & Kleenex. This is no surprise to any reader. You take your book with you to the bathroom. It´s normal. I have a stack of books right next to my towels.. But when you don´t want to put your book down, not even when nature calls, you take your book with you. That´s just how it works. Toilet paper has more than one function! Kleenex is just as great. Lol.
5. Hair Accessories. I must have been super desperate to use a bobby pin, a rubber band and a hair clip as bookmarks.
6. Post-It Notes / Strips. Those are my favorite and I usually use them when I´m not in that much of a hurry. Since I have them sticking all over my house I just walk by and grab the closest one and stick it in my book.
7. Chewing Gum Wrapper. Not totally unusual or uncommon for me to find gum wraps in my books. I chew a lot of gum, day and night. And I don´t just take a piece out and chew it for hours…. No. I´m a 5-at-a-time kind of girl. I found lots of gum wrappers on bookshelf cleaning day.
8. Receipts. I usually throw receipts right away because they´re unwanted evidence * howling with laughter *. There are a few times I do keep them but they always end up as a bookmark substitute.
9. Clothes Pin. You could pay me and I still wouldn´t be able to remember the moment when I used that. Whatever possessed me to use a clothes pin? It´s not even practical. Just as useless as the chocolate I found hidden behind my books.
10. Pocket Calendar. It was laying on the table. It was either that or use a pen to mark the page I was at.
11. Triangle Ruler. Yeah. The girls leave their stuff on the table and mommy uses it as a bookmark and blames the poor kids for losing her stuff ( parental fail at it´s finest. The shame is unbearable ).
12. Paperclip. Useful in so many ways. For me, a paperclip is like a swiss knife. Always have one in my pocket and purse and you can use it for everything, especially as a bookmark.
My advice for fellow book addicts? Use real bookmarks. That´s what they´re there for. It´s the sole purpose for a bookmark to be wedged between pages. Don´t be like me. Don´t use whatever you can get ahold of.
Speaking of bookmarks…. Here´s a shout out to some amazing creative Insta-people who make wonderful decorative bookmarks that´ll make your reading experience lots more enjoyable!
Do you have any bookmark substitutes you like to use? Let me know! ❤